With the release of Google Play Audiobook, we can now listen to audiobooks on Google Home, the smart speaker developed by Google. However, it’s a different story if we try to play Audible audiobooks on Google Home as Audible is not a built-in app of Google Home yet. If you are looking for the solution to make Audible books playable via Google Home, the following guide will introduce some possible ways to solve your problem.
1. Cast Audible Books with the Google Home App
Google Home comes with the app for both Android and IOS. It is a highly recommended way to download the it to your mobile phone and then cast Audible audiobooks to Google Home.
1. Make sure both of your mobile phone and Google Home speaker are connected to the same network.
2. Install Google Home app to your phone. When it is done, you will see the main screen of it.
3. Click the burger button on the Google Home app main screen and then choose ‘cast screen/audio’ menu.
4. You should see the name of your mobile phone, tap to select it and click ‘OK’ to confirm.
5. Finally the audio playing from your mobile will be cast to the Google Home speaker without lag and you can launch the Audible app to start to stream your audio books.
Tips: You may encounter problem on iOS device using this method. If so, you are suggested to switch to the 3rd method as below.
2. Play Audible Books on Google Home via Bluetooth
This should be the easiest and most straightforward way to stream Audible books to play on Google Home. You got two options to pair your iOS/Android to Google Home for playing Audible audiobooks, including by voice command or Google Home app.
Connect by Voice
Turn on your Google Home. Say “OK, Google, Bluetooth pairing”, then the smart speaker will automatically search the nearby Bluetooth devices and you can choose the right one you want to connect to Google Home. Please make sure the Bluetooth is activated on our iPhone or Android phone in advance.
Connect via Google Home App
Open Google Home App on your Android or iPhone and tap on the device icon on the right top corner of the app. Then press the three-dot menu on Google Home to get into Settings menu. Scroll to the bottom to find and tap the ‘Paired Bluetooth Devices’ > ‘Enable Pairing Mode’. Now open the Bluetooth on your phone to connect to Google Home speaker.
Once the Bluetooth is paired successfully, you can go ahead to play Audible audiobooks through Google Home by mirroring the audio from your phone.
Note: If you want to unpair Google Home, you can tap on the cross mark on the devices already connected. Once you tap on the mark, you will get a popup screen to Unpair Google Home Device. Simply tap on UNPAIR to disconnect Google Home.
3. Upload Audible Files to Google Play Music to Play from Google Home
This method doesn’t require Google Home app but Google Play Music instead. As Google Play Music is Google Home’s default music service, it would be convenient to play Audible books on Google Home if we could transfer the audiobooks to Google Play Music. How? Here we go.
You may find it’s impossible to upload Audible audiobooks to Google Play Music with the error message saying the format is not supported. In fact, that’s caused by DRM technology, with which Audible books can only be played on selected devices. Therefore, in order to upload Audible books to Google account, the most important thing is find a way to remove the DRM from Audible audiobooks.
Now you meet TunesKit Audible AA/AAX Converter, a smart DRM removal solution for Audible audiobooks that provides an all-in-one solution to convert Audible to universal MP3 files within several clicks. To learn more details, you can visit: How to Convert Audible Audiobooks AA/AAX to MP3.
Once got the DRM-free audiobooks, you can upload them to Google Play Music via the Google Play Music Manager or the plugin for Chrome. Here are the steps to add audiobooks to Google Play Music via Chrome plugin:
1. Make sure your Chrome browser is up to date, then you can download and install the Google Play Music for Chrome plugin.
2. Launch Google Play Music, you will see the main screen of it.
3. Click the three-horizontal-line menu and choose ‘Upload music’.
4. You can follow the screen instruction to select music from your computer to upload.
5. Since Google Play Music is a built-in app, you can simply control your Google Home by voice or the app to play the uploaded audiobooks after uploading.